Constitution

Members

Agenda

Minutes

Noticeboard

Useful links

Cambuskenneth

 

 

Description of village

Village picture gallery

Archive village pics

Abbey History

More detail of Abbey Church

Events picture gallery

Neighbourhood watch

 

        Village

 

 

home

 

 

 

 

The beautiful village of Cambuskenneth

 

Winner of the Village in Bloom, 1991

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Also click below on the history page:

 

| abbey history |

 

 

 

 

 

Cambuskenneth lies in a loop of the river Forth, adjacent the City of Stirling in Central Scotland.

 

Access by road is from the A907 Causewayhead to Alloa road, 500 metres from the Causewayhead roundabout, then proceeding 1 kilometre from the railway crossing.

 

The name Cambuskenneth signifies the field or creek of Kenneth, after King Kenneth MacAlpine, who in the 9th Century fought a battle with and defeated the Picts on the isthmus on which the abbey was built.

 

 

 

click here for enlarged map

 

 

 

 

Cambuskenneth village owes its existence to the foundation by King David 1 of an Abbey in 1140. Cambuskenneth Abbey was known throughout Europe, and was strategically important during the Scottish wars of independence in the 13th and 14th centuries.  Here Robert Bruce held the first Scottish parliaments, and it has been said that this is the least-known important historical site in Scotland.

 

 

 

Pillaged during the Reformation, all that is left now is the impressive three-storey bell tower, and the low foundations of the nave, cloister, garth, refectory, chapter house and church.  At the site of the alter is a monument-memorial erected by Queen Victoria to King James 111 and his wife Margaret, who were both interred in the Abbey precincts.

 

 

 

The alternative access to Cambuskenneth is by the footbridge over the river Forth from the Riverside area of Stirling.  Until 1935 the river crossing was by a rowing boat ferry and the “ferryman’s cottage” remains today, refurbished and occupied.  The bridge was opened on 23rd of October 1935, by when the once busy river traffic – both pleasure boats and cargo had ceased.

 

For centuries the ferry was a vital link for the residents of the village, providing a direct rout to the town without need to travel via the Stirling Bridge.

 

During the 19th century the ferry was at its busiest in July when the berry fair was held in the village.  The village was renowned for its market gardens, and gooseberries and strawberries were sold on fair days.  Italian ice cream sellers and musicians added a carnival flavour to the day.

 

 

 

With the demise of the Abbey at the Reformation, Cambuskenneth was slow to develop as a village, but the rich fertile soil was farmed and the famous apple orchards were tended with only a small number of houses being built.  The first big “development” was the building of two rows of cottages to house the miners working the coal pit at Manor Powis.  The Public Footpath still exists and crosses the farmlands to Broom Farm and onwards towards the new Eastern bypass road.

 

 

 

 

 

Other “boys” included Sir John Guthrie, George Henry, Arthur Melville, Sir John Lavery.  William York MacGregor is buried at Logie old Church

 

To artists the village of Cambuskenneth is associated with the “Glasgow Boys” school of Scottish colourists. Edward Arthur Walton (1876 – 1941) acquired a studio in Cambuskenneth with Arthur Melville (1854 – 1904) attracted here by the orchards.

 

Who were the Glasgow Boys? In the late 1870s a group of young artists gained recognition by challenging the classical and allegorical subject matter of the established art world as represented by the Royal Scottish Academy.  They sought scenes of rural life and character.

 

 

The now growing village was able to support some industry such as a bakery, a rope factory, and a one teacher school (now the village hall), and a shop (now a private house opposite the village hall).

 

Serious development began in the 1950s when the orchards were lost to buildings: St.James Orchard and Ferry Orchard for example.  Ladysneuk Road too is now fully built up and indeed the whole village has reached capacity.

 

The village is surrounded by “green belt” zoning to protect its individuality and historical importartance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The population numbers about 300, and is a good mix of all ages from new born to old age, and a wide spectrum of occupations.  For some the hub of the village is the Abbey Inn, where the resident and visitor alike can have refreshment and at weekends food is also served.

 

 

 

Click on | Village picture gallery | for more views of the village.

 

 

Top of page